Saturday 12 January 2013

ARE YOU AN ATHEIST


I've been asked this question for the second time this week. from two entirely different people from different age groups. "ARE YOU AN ATHEIST? "
Both the times ,the question came out of the blue, without me stating anything remotely related to atheism. But both the times, it made me think of what I believe in , have I ever tries tying my faith to anything supernatural or out of my reach ??

Well twenty-one years is not a long enough time to come to a conclusion as to what to be believed or what not to b believed
But I believe and I strongly believe in a POWER of CONNECTION (that is what I choose 2 call it) ; a really strong one which makes Jaani ( my 6 year old dachshund) wag her tail at me whenever I come home..the way we can read each others emotions from our eyes. I believe in the genuine worries of a mother who thinks her daughter is too rebellious for her own good . I believe in  the pride of a father who raised a confidant daughter. I believe in d purity of five-year-old Ibrahim's mind which found out that leaves talk in their secret language when it rains. I believe in Karthika's hugs and Farhana's dreams..I believe in their belief !

I believe there is a power of dedication in all works of art be it my amma's cooking , Neruda's poems, the innocence of Arundhati Roy's Esthappen and Rahel, the wide eyes of Disney's cartoons, Sabyachachi's sarees or Rahman's music...

But being born to non-practicing  Hindu parents -who'd be happy see me choose any religion, and raised in a Christian school for 14 years, where they taught me what is more important is being a strong individual who respects other's belief,  yet stand up for what they believe in..(my college however works on a different principle , but I never bothered to take a bit of it inside my head)  and being best friends with maybe d boldest Muslim girl ,I don't chain myself to any religious beliefs . I don't pray in front of a beautifully sculptures or stone idols or to any symbol or to any direction..BUT I respect everyone who believes in it and does it...and that exactly is my PRAYER.

Well...what is my label now? Atheist ?  Agnonist ? May be a humanist ( with a slight feministic inclination) or perhaps a religiously-unlabeled happy woman !! :-)

4 comments:

  1. Really when i first read thru these lines, I cud c myself in der :) thnx for giving me dat label - religiously-unlabeled happy woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can u make a conscious something out of a senseless nothing?
    "What! out of senseless Nothing to provoke
    A conscious Something to resent the yoke
    Of unpermitted Pleasure, under pain
    Of Everlasting Penalties, if broke!" Khayyam

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And this I know: whether the one True Light
    Kindle to Love, or Wrath-consume me quite,
    One Flash of It within the Tavern caught
    Better than in the Temple lost outright. "

    no one can help but fall in love with words if they've read Khayyam and Khalil Gibran.. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a long time ago.
    I have almost forgotten my dream.
    But it was there then,
    In front of me,
    Bright like a sun--
    My dream.
    And then the wall rose,
    Rose slowly,
    Slowly,
    Between me and my dream.
    Rose until it touched the sky--
    The wall.
    Shadow.
    I am black.
    I lie down in the shadow.
    No longer the light of my dream before me,
    Above me.
    Only the thick wall.
    Only the shadow.
    My hands!
    My dark hands!
    Break through the wall!
    Find my dream!
    Help me to shatter this darkness,
    To smash this night,
    To break this shadow
    Into a thousand lights of sun,
    Into a thousand whirling dreams
    Of sun!


    ReplyDelete