Friday 1 February 2013

THE GUAVA TREE



The guava tree, if one
Could remember,
Always  came with
Four skinny legs
Hanging down like
Limp tentacles

A pair, fair with
Silver anklets and
The other, dark
With painted toes

Old times,

When dreams sprang
Like tender leaves
From the tree
Soft, waxy ,fresh-green.

When all the cuisines
Of the world,
Shrank into a ball
Of soft sweet pink pulp
In a lush green coat!
When the seven
Wonders of the world,
Took the shape
Of an arm-stretched
Guava tree.

When life was
Tied around a tree, and
Went round and round
Around it, carefree and wide-eyed,
Bare-foot and sun-tanned.

Now,

When I look down,
My feet are sunk deep ,
Into the discomforts
Of a stiletto.
Just one pair of stiff legs.

I look around.
I see walls.
I walk to the window,
                                                                        Sipping the tasteless fine-blend.


                                                                       I push it open, to see
                                                                       A million more walls
                                                                       Frowning back at me.
                                                                       Shutting me out.

2 comments:

  1. Meenu.. u narrated beautifully guava tree, the juicy fragnance and feelings of life..Good work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. From concrete to abstract,
    you do the same always
    and in mastering that skill,
    add more sweat and heat.

    Great joy to hear you more.

    ReplyDelete